Professor of International Law and Chairman of the Centre for International Legal Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
Professor Dr Bharat H. Desai holds the prestigious Jawaharlal Nehru Chair in International Environmental Law as well as is Professor of International Law and Chairman of the Centre for International Legal Studies in the School of International Studies of Jawaharlal Nehru University in New Delhi. He is engaged in the promotion of teaching and research of International Law and International Environmental Law as well as Regional Capacity Building in Environmental law in the South Asian region. He has been consulted by the Union Ministries of Environment & Forests as well as the Ministry of External Affairs (India). Bharat H. Desai has also been inducted as a member of the official Indian Delegations to various intergovernmental negotiations. He serves as Editor-in-Chief of the Yearbook of International Environmental Law (OUP: UK), Governing Board Member of IUCN Academy of Environmental Law (Canada) and Chairman of the Centre for Advanced Study on Courts & Tribunals (India). Bharat H. Desai has initiated and coordinates three inter-disciplinary and Inter-University Consortiums on themes of Himalayan Cryosphere, Amospheric Aerosols and Geo-spatial Information Systems as unique knowledge platforms to generate futuristic cutting-edge knowledge in respective fields.
- International Environmental Governance: Towards UNEPO? (Boston, USA: Brill/ Nijhoff, June 2014)
- Multilateral Environmental Agreements: Legal Status of the Secretariats (New York, NY: Cambridge University Press, 2010); Paperback edition 2013)
- Implementation of the Convention on Biological Diversity in the Hindu-kush Himalayan Region (Kathmandu: ICIMOD, 2011) [with Oli, Sharma]
- „The Quest for a United Nations Specialized Agency for the Environment“, The Roundtable: The Commonwealth Journal of International Affairs (Routledge, London), Vol. 101, No. 2, 1–12, April 2012.
- „The Policy & Law for Combating Climate Change in India“, Environmental Policy & Law (Amsterdam: IOS Press), vol.43, no.4-5, 2013.